- 2 large Idaho® Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups pickled cactus strips from a jar
- 2 cilantro sprigs, rinsed
- 3 Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped, divided
- 4 hard boiled eggs, sliced in quarters lengthwise
- 4 large dried morita chiles, stems and seeds removed, soaked in water for 2 hours
- 2 dried guajillo chiles, stems and seeds removed, soaked in water for 2 hours
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- In a medium pot, place potatoes with enough water to cover. Boil for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Remove from hot water, set to the side and let cool.
- In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add cactus strips, ½ of the onion and 1 garlic clove. Cook, stirring rapidly until onion and garlic are tender. Set to the side to cool.
- Place tomatoes, cilantro sprigs, the other half of the onion, the remaining garlic clove and soaked chiles in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a 4-quart stockpot over low-medium heat. Pour in the tomato mixture and cook for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and let boil. Reduce heat and add cactus mixture.
- Chop potatoes in small cubes and add them to the soup. Add chicken bouillon and Cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve in soup bowls and garnish with hard-boiled eggs and a sprinkle of fresh, cracked pepper.