Crispy Potato Salad
- 2 medium Red Bliss Idaho® potatoes, scrubbed
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small carrot, peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 small Persian cucumber, seeded and cut into ¼-inch dice
- ½ cup cooked corn kernels
- 1 green serrano chile, stemmed and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 heaping teaspoon chaat masala* (optional)
- a few tablespoons warm water
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- finely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Line a platter with paper towels, for draining the potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into 1/2-inch dice.
- Place a deep skillet on medium heat and add the oil. When the oil begins to shimmer, add potato pieces, a few at a time. Fry for 5 to 6 minutes, till crisp and golden brown. Stir a few times while cooking to ensure the potatoes brown on all sides.
- Remove the potatoes from the skillet with a slotted spoon and drain on the paper towels. Continue till all the potatoes are cooked.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, carrot, cucumber, corn, chile, lemon juice, sesame seeds, chaat masala (if using), and salt to taste. Mix well. Add enough warm water to loosen the salad and toss well.
- When you are ready to serve, sprinkle the salad with the black pepper, cayenne, and cilantro. Serve immediately.