Caramelized Onion and Gruyere Mashed Potatoes
- 1 large (or 2 medium) sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter or Country Crock® Spreadable Butter with Canola Oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large Idaho® baking potatoes
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives or scallions
- salt to and pepper taste
- Add the olive oil and one tablespoon of butter to a large skillet or cast iron pan. Add the sliced onion and sauté on medium low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes or until the onions are a light golden brown.
- Peel and quarter the potatoes and add to a pot of boiling water. Cook on high for 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain and return to the pot.
- Mash the potatoes using a masher with a tight weave so that you get out all the lumps. Stir in the remaining two tablespoons of butter along with the milk. Fold in the caramelized onions, cheese and chives. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.