- 8 ounces mashed potatoes, cooled
- 8 ounces Idaho® potatoes, peeled, grated
- 2 ounces onion, grated
- 8 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 ounces buttermilk
- Salt, as needed
- Butter, melted, as needed
- Blended oil, as needed
- 3 pounds Cured Trout (recipe to follow)
- 1/2 cup Whiskey-horseradish Cream (recipe to follow)
- Chives, batonnet, as needed
Cured Trout (Yield 3 pounds):
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander, cracked
- 1 teaspoon cumin, cracked
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 each Trout, whole, 2 pound, boned and filleted
Whiskey-horseradish Cream (Yield 2 1/4 cups):
- 1/2 cup horseradish, fresh
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- In a mixing bowl, combine mashed and raw potato by hand. Slowly add onions and dry ingredients until incorporated. Gently stir in buttermilk. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Rest for 20 minutes.
- Pour 1-ounce spoonfuls of batter onto lightly buttered and oiled cast iron pan over medium heat and cook until golden, turning once. Transfer to paper towel to drain.
- Plate 2 pancakes, top with 5 slices cured trout and 1 tablespoon whiskey horseradish cream. Garnish with chives and serve.
- Combine sugar and salt. Reserve
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining spices and reserve.
- Line a perforated pan with cheesecloth then spread with 1/3 sugar-salt mixture. Reserve.
- Rub spice mixture gently over fish. Cover completely with remaining sugar-salt mixture. Transfer to cheesecloth. Place on sheet pan, top with weighted pan and cure, refrigerated for 24 hours, until fish is medium firm. Rinse and very thinly slice. Reserve.
- In a small pot, soak horseradish in whiskey for 5 to 10 minutes. Bring to boil over medium heat. Remove from heat, flame off alcohol. Cool. Add remaining ingredients and blend well. Reserve.