Au Gratin Potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons All-purpose flour
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup half-and-half
- 4 Idaho® baked potatoes (sliced about 1-1/2 pounds)
- ⅓ cup onion, diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (for 3 layers)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded for garnish
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Slice potatoes and hold in cold water.
- Grease 1-1/2 quart. casserole dish with butter; set aside.
- In small saucepan melt butter, add onions and cook until transparent, then stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Whisk in milk and half-and-half. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until heated through; set aside.
- Layer one-third of potato slices, parsley, cheese and one-third of sauce and 1/3 cup of cheese.
- Repeat process until all ingredients are used and then cover with foil.
- Bake in oven at 375° F for 45 to 60 minutes until potatoes are cooked all the way through. (One way to check is if the sauce is bubbling and the potatoes are tender.)
- Mix the breadcrumbs and paprika together in small bowl.
- Remove casserole dish from oven and uncover. Sprinkle the top with cheddar cheese and the breadcrumb mixture. Put back in the oven uncovered and bake for 5 minutes until cheese melts and forms a delicious crust on top.
- Remove from oven, cut into pieces, garnish with parsley and serve.