Heart-Healthy Idaho® Potato Soup
In addition to being hearty and heart-healthy, this soup is prepared in one pot -- making cleanup a cinch.
- 2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, scrubbed and cut in 1/2-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped dried tomatoes
- 2 pints plus 1 14-ounce can (46 ounces total) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded, cooked turkey
- 3 cups packaged, chopped, frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- Freshly ground pepper
- In heavy soup pot, heat oil on high and stir in onions. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes or until well browned.
- Add potatoes, dried tomatoes and broth.
- Bring to boil and cook covered for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add turkey and vegetables, return to boil and cook 6 - 8 minutes.
- Top with freshly ground pepper.
Yield: 8 servings; approx. 1 cup
Sodium: 265 mg
Fat: 5 g
Protein: 20 g
Cholesterol: 30 mg