Idaho Potato Commission Gears Up for Football Season with Multiple Sponsorships, Tailgating Treats and Fun Facts
EAGLE, Idaho, September 14, 2012—
For the third consecutive year, the Idaho Potato Commission (IPC)
will sponsor the Boise State University (BSU) and University of Idaho (U of I) football teams. Idaho® potatoes will be a major player on the field with significant signage in both Bronco Stadium and the Kibbie Dome as part of the six-year sponsorship.
The famous “Grown in Idaho®” seal will be featured prominently throughout the stadium and in both teams’ official programs. The IPC will be the official sponsor of one marquee game in each stadium and will provide both teams with promotional support to keep fans fired up.
The Boise State Broncos have been known to use Idaho® potatoes as a training tool by carrying 100-pound sacks of spuds while running up and down the Bronco Stadium bleachers!
“We’re thrilled to continue our strong support of Idaho’s fantastic football teams as one of the official sponsors of both the Broncos and the Vandals for the third year,” said Frank Muir, President and CEO, IPC. “As we kick off our annual harvest and jump into another football season, we couldn’t be more excited to cheer on our local players!”
BSU’s first game of the season was televised nationally on ESPN on Friday, August 31 at 6:00pm MDT when the Broncos played Michigan State University at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Michigan. During the game, the IPC premiered its brand new commercial featuring the Great Big Idaho® Potato Truck (view it online here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZh96pkU0gw). The Vandals’ first game of the season against Eastern Washington University was held at the Kibbie Dome on Thursday, August 30 at 6:00pm MDT.
- It would take over 2 billion Idaho® potatoes (about 786 million pounds) to fill Bronco Stadium.
- The 2012 Idaho growers will harvest approximately 12 billion pounds of potatoes – enough potatoes to fill six Bronco stadiums!
Find out why Idaho® potatoes are the perfect fuel for football players and fans alike:
Tailgating Treat: Play-By-Play Idaho® Potato Rounds
- Fiber (2g) - Who wants to be hungry during the game? A baked potato has 8 percent of the daily recommendation of fiber. This type of fiber helps increase fullness so you can cheer your team well into overtime.
- Carbohydrates (26 g total carb) - Football players need simple carbohydrates for quick energy during the first plays of the game and complex carbs to keep them going throughout each quarter. Eating a pre-game potato will supply both types of carbs for optimum energy.
- Vitamin C (45%) - In order to build the muscle needed to make those big plays, football players need vitamin C to produce collagen, an important muscle and skin protein. One potato provides nearly half the daily vitamin C recommendation!
- Potassium (620 mg) - During the game, a college football team loses gallons of fluid in sweat, which includes water and key nutrients such as sodium and potassium. One potato has more than potassium than two bananas!
- Heart-Healthy (low in fat and cholesterol) - A college football player needs a heart that can keep on pumping through practices and games. Idaho® potatoes are certified as a heart-healthy food by the American Heart Association.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium Idaho® potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 ounces turkey pepperoni, (about 30 slices) chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Fresh chopped Italian parsley
About the Idaho Potato Commission
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of olive oil onto a large, nonstick baking sheet. Spread evenly with a pastry brush to coat bottom of baking sheet. Arrange potato slices on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes or until pale golden in color. Turn potato slices over and cook 6 additional minutes or until fork tender and beginning to lightly brown.
- Combine remaining ingredients except remaining olive oil in medium bowl and toss until well blended.
- Remove potatoes from oven and spoon equal amounts (approximately 1 tablespoon per slice) of the pepperoni mixture on top of each potato slice. Return to oven and bake 3-5 minutes or until the cheese begins to melt. Remove from oven and drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons oil evenly over topped potato slices. Let stand 5 minutes to allow flavors to absorb. Serve immediately for peak flavor.
Established in 1937, the Idaho Potato Commission (IPC) is a state agency that is responsible for promoting and protecting the famous “Grown in Idaho®” seal, a federally registered trademark that assures consumers they are purchasing genuine, top-quality Idaho® potatoes. Idaho's ideal growing conditions, including rich, volcanic soil, climate and irrigation, differentiate Idaho® potatoes from potatoes grown in other states. For more information, visit www.idahopotato.com
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/famousidahopotatoes
Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com/idahopotato
Follow us on Pinterest: Pinterest.com/idahopotato
# # #